Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Corgi Home Alone: The Crate Debate


Our needle felted Corgi gives fairy rides when we aren't around...

Gourmet Felted Creates Amazing Custom Corgis

What do you do with your Corgi baby (or any puppy) while you are away? We crated our first Corgi as a baby, and she did well with it. The crate was Husky-sized, which is too big, so she had an accident in it once in a while.

As she grew, we were able to leave her outside when we were away (we had acreage available), or inside the house. She never tore up anything... except the blinds if we forgot to lift them a couple of inches so that she could see out!

Read about "Free-range Gibson" and his great crate adventure here: Corgi Butts: Back to Jail

We are officially perusing local acreage for a new place, but will bring our little girl home to all sorts of outside hazards, such as water and wilderness--too much for a baby!--not to mention the Corgi reputation for being stolen right out of their yards...

Please feel free to leave advice. :) Puppy Kindergarten will begin soon, but I like to worry about things waaay ahead of time...

2 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

Good mornin! For what is's worth:

There's no Crate Debate at our residence! We use them and we love them! The only dog that isn't crated while we're away is Nitro, the Aussie. He's going on 5 yrs old, and has settled down quite a bit. He used to eat his bed and find trouble at every turn! Now that he's older, he is calmer and more reliable. Sometimes we let Prairie (4 yrs old) be crateless, as she has been reliable too, except for her habit of 'gang-rushing' us to the door so she can try to go BYE with us. I'm working on eliminating that behavior and we're getting there. The younger corgis are crated; one has a small bladder, and the other one loves to exercise her jaws on just about anything when no one is watching. She got my 'fur-minator' last week, and I see it has a hollow handle, much to my dismay! It's Puppy Prison for those 2 young'uns! Oh, and "Grandma"? I've never tried letting her be loose unsupervised come to think of it! I think she would be just fine, but because she was a puppy mill mama, she prefers the cave space of her crate, and will go there on her own for peace and quiet. So there you have it - my crate experience in a nutshell! I prefer to supervise and be able to correct unwanted behavior at the time it's happening, rather than wonder why I am not able to get through to the dogs' brains hours after the evil deed is done!

Infrared Goggles said...

Thanks for sharing. I agree with you on preventing the behavior that cannot be corrected when no one is around. Also, I notice that you have different rules for different dogs, which makes me think that the individual puppy's personality may have a lot to do with how things end up. I think we have to crate at first, to prevent injuries to our baby girl. After that, I still am undecided. Actually, I wonder how much of it is just feeling guilty thinking she won't like it. Some dogs do appreciate the comfort of their crates, apparently! Noticed you have a new post, so I'm going to check out your blog now... :)